Episode 029: Andy Sokolovich of UnleashStrengths.com
with Your Host: D’vorah Lansky
Description of Today’s Episode: My guest today is Andy Sokolovich of UnleashStrengths.com and host of “Theme-Addicts” podcast. Andy started his podcast to help others put their Gallop Strength Finder results into action. He hosts some amazing guests from all over the world and today, he is going to show us how he has obtained such a successful lineup of guests. Andy shares many benefits he has experienced by broadcasting his passion via a podcast and leaves us with great action steps to further your podcasting success.
|Episode 032: Andy Sokolovich: How to Approach Potential Guests and How to Leverage Your Guest’s Social Status to Grow Your Audience
|Listen in to this episode (and the entire series) over on iTunes|
About Andy: My guest today is Andy Sokolovich. Andy launched UnleashStrengths.com in the spring of 2014. He leverages the power of GALLUP’s Clifton StrengthsFinder assessment to help others realize their true potential, talents, and strengths. As an 11-year veteran of the United States Air Force, Andy understands how difficult it can be to reinvent oneself. In an effort to reach a broader audience, Andy launched his podcast, THEME-ADDICTS in the summer of 2014. Since then, he’s interviewed guests from Pakistan, South Africa, France, Australia, Singapore, and the UK.
Main Questions Asked
- Can you tell us about your author success journey and how you got started podcasting?
- Can you tell us about your podcast, the type of guest it attracts and the power of a highly niched audience?
- How do you invite guests to guests to your show without sounding desperate?
- Can you give us some suggestions for getting a referral from a person you have connected with?
Key Lessons Learned
- A small engaged audience is better than a big disengaged audience. You want feedback from them. Get to know them and focus your energy there.
- Make connections and trustworthy relationships before you bring your guest on the show. You will have to give something to your guest for their appearance, links are the best thing to offer. Don’t cold call prospects or send out an email that includes multiple people.
- Another key way to get guests is to have a third party give you a referral. This gives you an implied credential from that individual. You never know who someone else knows. Ask for guest suggestions from your interviewee at the end of the show. After the show, email them right away.
- Conferences, conventions and meet ups are a great place to form relationships with other people who are passionate about the same subject as you and might be willing to appear on your show. In most cases these face to face meetings have a better chance of becoming a podcast and usually have more spark since you two already have a relationship.
- Know your audience, know where they’re hanging out and know where they are communicating.
Benefits for Authors
- Every person you interview can teach you something new and, with their permission, you can apply that lesson to your teachings.
- Podcasting offers a very individualized approach to marketing yourself to an audience. You get to make it how you want it so be true to yourself.
- Podcasting forces you to think of an idea and then convey that verbally in seconds. This helps with your public speaking comfort level and helps you get into the public speaking category.
Andy’s Podcasting Tips
- Passion sells! Put inflection in your voice and get excited without distracting from the content.
- With the podcast market surging it is more important than ever to reach out and get yourself noticed.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously.
- Talk about your podcast both on and off-line. It helps to create an instant celebrity status.
- Be familiar with your guest’s social status. Leverage their status to promote your podcast. If they have a big on-line following ask them to post a link. If they have a big off-line community ask them to hand out cards announcing your show and how people can find it.
Links to Resources Mentioned
- Unleash Strengths: http://www.unleashstrengths.com
- Theme-Addicts Podcast: http://www.unleashstrengths.com/category/theme-addicts
- Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi: http://amzn.to/1DNk9R8